Medical and dental costs are very high in Sweden. Therefore it is important to have the proper insurance before arriving in Sweden.

EU citizens

Sweden has reciprocal agreements concerning health care with a range of countries (most EU/EEA countries). Those of you coming from a country within the EU/EEA, need to bring along your European Health Insurance Card (former E128/E111). The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) guarantees that you receive the same medical care as Swedes, at the same cost.

Students from an EU/EEA country should contact the appropriate authority in their home country (usually the Social Insurance Office) in order to obtain the form (E128/E111) or EHIC.

More information about the EHIC from the European Commission.

Non-EU citizens

Students from countries which do not have such agreements with Sweden are required to pay their medical fees in full, so it is important that you have private international insurance that covers, for instance, accidents and illnesses, medical care, hospital treatment, theft, etc.

Usually, you need to underwrite the insurance before you arrive in Sweden.

Health insurance is necessary for a residence permit.

Tuition-paying students

Tuition-paying students are covered by a limited form of health insurance through the University of Skövde. The insurance (FAS) covers emergency medical and dental care 24-hours a day from two weeks before the semester starts until two weeks after the semester ends.
It does not cover, for instance, student property or physical examinations and return visits.
Therefore, we strongly recommend you to ensure that you take out complementary insurance, so that you don't face unexpected expenses.

Non-EU citizens with residence permits for study are not covered by the Swedish Medical System. Medical care is very expensive in Sweden, so it is important for your own well-being that you have a good personal insurance.

Terms and conditions for FAS Insurance

Exchange students

Exchange students are covered by another form of insurance through the University of Skövde (Student IN). This insurance covers emergency medical and dental care as well as some personal property. With this insurance, you are covered 24-hours a day from two weeks before the semester begins until two weeks after the semester ends as well as during direct travel between your home country and Sweden. 
It does not cover, for instance, physical examinations, return visits and loss of property left in storage.
Therefore, we recommend you to take out complementary insurance to avoid facing unexpected expenses.

Terms and conditions for Student IN insurance


Do you have questions about insurance for students?
Visit the Student Affairs Office!

Student Affairs Office

Contact information and visiting hours.

If you need a Transcript of Records or Certificate of Registration, order through

Front Desk Hours

Monday - Friday 10:00-12:30

Phone Hours

Monday, Tuesday and Thursday  10:00-11:30

Phone +46 (0)500-44 81 00


Contact us through e-mail


We will try to respond to your e-mail within two working days.
Please mention your full name and your birth date for smoother service.

Postal address

University of Skövde
Box 408
541 28 Skövde

Drop-In Study counsellor at the Front desk: 
only Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 12:30-14:30